This blog, formerly something no one read and I didn't update, is here for me to sort of chronicle my life, musings, and adventures. Welcome to the rabbit hole, Alice.
Let me tell you a bit about myself:
I am, first and foremost, a follower of Jesus Christ. No, I'm not perfect. Yes, I have bad days where I doubt. No, I'm not one of those crazy people who picket funerals. But it does mean that I try to follow Him, surrender to Him, honor Him, live in His grace while still having an active faith, love Him first and then love others out of His love, and spread His love. Basically: love God, then love others out of the outpouring of His love.
I am, under the umbrella of who God made me, a number of other things, like a geek. Now, I'm not one of the people who lives in their mum's basement playing D&D or Halo all day, or cosplays all the time, or doesn't socialize outside of cons, or doesn't understand normal social interactions (not that there's anything wrong with any of that, but you, vitamin D is good for you, heh). I like to think of myself as a geek in the same way that someone like Simon Pegg or Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle is: someone who knows their geek, who gets most of the references, who enjoys a good movie marathon, but who also realizes that a.) not everyone is like that, b.) there are other things aside from geekery, and c.) you have to be a functioning person who can relate to other human beings on a level other than geekiness. And I think I'm getting better at it.
God also made me a storyteller, a student, a film and tv bluff, a cook, a lover of travel, an extrovert, a lover of people, a talker, a silly person, a musician, a thinker, a seeker, a sister, a daughter, and a friend. I've held a few jobs, mostly retail, but I've worked with middle and high schoolers for the past three years at my church, I've put together some little films, I've worked in a law office, and I've reffed flag football way back in the day. I'm also a student at Azusa Pacific University in awesome SoCal, having transfered from my local community college, as a Business Management major.
I have a sister, a mum, a dad, a dog back home, a few really brilliant close-as-family friends, and three crazy great roommates that I share an on-campus apartment with.
Stuff I dig: Jesus (Lord and Savior and Best Friend), Psych on USA Network (Come on, son!), Supernatural on CW (don't judge me), Star Trek (TOS, TNG, VOY, movies, tribbles, KHAAAAAN!), Star Wars (what sort of geek would I be if I didn't love me some Star Wars?), J.J. Abrams (god of the geeks (no, but seriously)), Sherlock (season 3--nuff said), Pixar (I may have written a 5-page film studies paper on formalism and realism in Monsters Inc.), the Marvel Cinematic Universe (loki'd!), film in general (Chris Nolan, Tom Hooper, Peter Morgan, etc. ftw), bananas (cos their friggin delicious), movies (seriously love them), music (film scores, rock 'n' roll, mellow stuff, stuffy stuff), food (cheese. Expensive cheese)...
There's a lot of stuff I'm into. We'd be here all day...
Anyway. Enough intro--into the blog post.
--
I am officially DONE with my first week of college at APU.
Let me give you the skinny:
(I like lists, by the way. They're efficient and simple. Not always pretty, but, hey, it's a blog.)
I live in an on-campus apartment with three other girls (Ray, Jas, and Jack (sort of real names, but in case they don't want them on here, that's what I'll use)) who are phenomenally chill and wonderful and sweet and giving and hilarious and and and--I could go on. They're great is what I'm getting at. We're all transfers. Our apartment is SUPER cute and really very hipster (which is funny, cos I'm not really a hipster). We may have mason jars everywhere and art that we've made ourselves that's going up soon. We also might have homemade coasters and a muted color pallet. (Trust me. It's hipster meets 70s cos of when the apartment was built.)
Our RA "Phil" (eh, close enough) is wonderful and insanely nice. He and the other RAs actually threw a pool party last night for the complex. It was called "Gnome Sweet Gnome" because our complex "mascot" is a gnome.
Yeah. I know. It's...weird. But in a good way. It's funny, you'll just have to trust me.
Suffice to say, I am meeting oodles of noodles of new people and trying very, VERY hard to remember names. I'm doing a not so terrible job at it either. I've met some very cool people. There's "Bobby," "Fields," and "Topher" that stand out plus some brilliant business students.
As far as schedule goes I have:
Accounting I
Business Law
Luke/Acts
Spanish I
Everyday Anthro
and I'm looking to add this Enactus class (look it up--it's pretty cool)
It's really not that bad. Honestly. All my profs are chill and seem to be competent at what they do. I have yet to meet my Anthro prof, but I can't imagine he/she will be bad. I guess my only complaint is that my Luke/Acts prof is from Yale School of Divinity. That sounds silly, but I'm fairly conservative about my theology (and by that I mean I believe the Bible is inerrant and that ALL of it is still relevant and true--even the bits our society isn't so keen on) and from what I hear, Yale's Divinity School isn't all that conservative. But that's okay. APU isn't really liberal so I think it should be fine.
What else about my first week...
I have gone to a pool party, a game of capture the flag with the business school, a worship night (ermahgawsh--very cool), a mugging (you get a free mug--it's less sketch than it sounds), a talent/comedy show/thing, and a number of orientation things thus far. No, I have not gotten more than 7 hours of sleep per night. Yes, I'm becoming a coffee addict.
Also, I would be remiss if I didn't say HOW CRAZY NICE AND LOVING EVERYONE AT THIS SCHOOL IS. I'm really not over exaggerating. Those of you know me know that I love to use adjective like a monkey loves bananas. (One of my roommates is eating a banana.) But seriously--I kid you not that really everyone here is incredibly nice, caring, sweet, and generally wonderful. The love of Christ is SO prevalent on this campus--it's amazing. And the chapels--
Okay, so the hip, Wednesday night chapel is going through the Minor Prophets Hosea, Amos, and Jonah in that order.
fkdjfnaldoiUIsdakdjnqwIFDEAkijdkkjfsOIWERQWLDOfrkgjnal
That's my brain. EXPLODING. The MINOR PROPHETS?! I've been going to church my whole life and I've only ever heard a handful of sermons on Jonah and MAYBE one or two on Hosea.. I've never even heard a sermon on Amos. I'm jazzed. Plus there is a liturgical chapel on Thursday. I'm so excited. And the worship is AMAZING. Seriously. I'm very, VERY impressed.
In short, I am so blessed and grateful that God has sent me here and provided for me to attend school here. Actually, God promised me a year and a half ago or so that I would go to college using the verse Jeremiah 29:11 "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'" I thought He was sending me to Cal State Fullerton, but He made it incredibly clear that I was to come here through other signs and by getting the funds. I say this to say this: when I was waiting in a very long line to buy books, I saw this APU license plate protector that had Jer. 29:11 on it. Once more, God making clear to me that I need to be here. Praise God. :)
So, HOPEFULLY, this will be a weekly thing at least. I might just post when stuff hits me, or when I have something fun to say like discussing why old movies are best seen on the big screen (which I will do later). So, until then, in the words of APU President Jon Wallace:
Shalom. Go with God.
No comments:
Post a Comment